Soba, also known as buckwheat in Japan. Soba noodles are made of buckwheat flour or a combination of buckwheat and wheat flour, with buckwheat noodles being rich in fibre and proteins. It is very commonly served at restaurants in Japan and some part of South East Asian countries. It can be served hot or cold with some simple seasoning or Chinese dips.
We all love Chinese food and there is nothing like it when it comes to Indo Chinese food with all those aromatic spices, sauces mixed with noodles or rice. Noodles is one such popular dish at the restaurants. Be it veg or chicken noodles, chilli garlic noodles or schezwan noodles, we love it in all forms.
Below is my recipe for soba noodles where I have used with a lot of exotic veggies I could grab from my refrigerator. A healthy vegetarian recipe from my kitchen to yours’s!!
- 1 packet of Soba noodles
- 1 cup each of sliced onion, carrots, capsicum, mushrooms, purple cabbage(optional)
- (I have used above veggies in 2 parts)
- 2 sprigs of spring oinions
- 8 -10 finely chopped garlic
- 1” finely chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp red chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Salt as per taste
3 tbsp oil for cooking (preferably sesame oil)
- In a large pot of boiling water, add a tbsp of oil and boil soba noodles for few minutes, stirring occasionally till al dente and rinse it in cold water to get rid of all the starch.
- In a wok or skillet, heat oil, saute ginger and garlic for few seconds.
- Toss in half of all veggies and mix well. Saute them on high flame stirring continuously.
- Reducing the flame, add all the seasonings and mix everything well.
- Now add the boiled noodles and remaining veggies and toss until everything is combined well and heated through.
- Garnish with spring onion greens and Exotic Soba Noodles are ready to be served. Enjoy your dish with any Chinese starter or just as is.
Please note: I like the veggies with a little crunch and so I added them in two parts in this recipe.