Potato Cannoli makes and amazingly delicious snack recipe which can be served as a party appetizer or as a starter.
My recipe for Potato Cannoli is a savoury version of the Italian dessert, Cannoli, which is a flaky crusty shell usually made of flour stuffed with luscious cream, sweet ricotta filling, choco chips. In other words, pure dessert bliss!
Giving it my twist, I have made a savoury version which is always loved by all at home and usually gets over in no time. For the crispy crusty shell, I have used brown bread and stuffed it with my instant version of rich and creamy mashed potatoes. It’s a very simple and quick recipe that’s ready in a jiffy with almost all ingredients you would already have in your kitchen.
Well, I always have some boiled potatoes stocked in my fridge as it makes it easier to get started with recipes that calls for potato like cutlets, parathas or any potato starters and if I’m making mashed potatoes, I simply micro wave the boiled potatoes for a minute or so just so that it’s easier to mash it. For me, mashing potatoes with a fork works the best.
I have also shared a few tips and tricks towards the end which I find really helpful not just for this recipe but any recipe using some of these ingredients.
For the bread cannoli’s:
- 5 – 6 slices of brown bread / white bread
- 1/2 cup water
- Oil for frying
For the Filling:
- 2 mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup hot milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup cooking cream
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp parsley flakes or fresh parsley or coriander
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- Salt per taste
- Red chilli flakes per taste
- Roll each slice of bread with a rolling pin till it is thin enough. Cut out the hard edges with a knife. Roll again if needed. Similarly roll all the slices and keep aside.
- Take one slice at a time, apply little water with you fingers at one corner of the bread and fold it such that both opposite corners stick together. Fell free to use little more water at the edges which helps it stick together.
- Once all slices are done, keep it aside.
- Heat oil to deep fry these bread cannoli’s.
- Meanwhile, we will prepare the mash potato filling.
- In a bowl, add all ingredients for the mashed potatoes and mix everything well.
- Make sure the potatoes are mashed completely with no lumps. Use a fork for less quantity or a masher if you have little more quantity.
- Prepare a creamy mashed potato mixture.
- Fry the bread cannoli’s one at time just for a few seconds till it gets crispy and remove on a kitchen absorbent.
- Now, using a fork, spoon or a piping bag, fill all the bread cannoli’s with the mashed potato mixture.
- Potato Cannoli’s are ready!!!
- Garish and serve with dip of choice or enjoy it as is!!
Do leave a comment below!! I would love to hear from you!!
Some helpful tips:
- For recipes that call for rolling out bread slices, I prefer rolling it first and then cutting out the edges as you get a bigger portion of the soft part unless you are preparing bite size snacks.
- If you’re using white bread, fry it till it’s golden brown, brown breads will get brown faster so don’t fry it for too long.
- if you’re using boiled potatoes stocked in your fridge, do microwave it for a minute or so. Else, if you are boiling the potato, mash it while it is still hot. This way you wont get any lumps.
- If you do not have garlic powder, you could use fresh minced garlic or any other seasoning of choice. However, I strongly recommend garlic for my recipe for mashed potatoes.
You can also watch my video for this recipe on Toss N Cook with Sharon
Share the recipe:
Don’t miss to check below for some more recipes:
If you’ve liked this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to like the recipe and leave me a comment in the comments section below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more delicious food.
To SAVE my Recipes for later FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST
Share this recipe:
Follow me on Instagram to stay connected