Meethi Chutney is another great accompaniment for Indian chaats. Also known as imli aur dates ki chutney which is made of imli, dates and jaggery.
Craving for some home made bhel and sev puri, I tried my hands on to make this chutney. Trust me it is super easy and no rocket science. Of course it needs little patience, but the its going to be worth all the efforts. I have used no colouring nor red chilli powder because everything blended so well naturally giving a beautiful colour.
Mine is a very simple recipe with just three main ingredients. One can prepare and easily store this chutney in an air tight container.
- 1/2 cup soaked imli/tamarind
- 1 cup seedless dates
- 1 cup jaggery
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp jeera powder/cumin powder
- Remove all the seeds from the tamarind.
- In a big pot, add water and jaggery.
- Once jaggery starts to melt, add dates and tamarind pulp with the water.
- Stirring occasionally, allow the mixture to boil till everything looks well combined. For me it took around fifteen minutes and I boiled it for another five minutes add cumin powder. If needed you can also add little water to it.
- Once done, allow this mixture to cool a little.
- Using a strainer, separate the water and the pulp. Remember not to throw the pulp as we can grind it and mix it in the chutney which will give an amazing consistency.
- Collect all the pulp in the blender and grind it fine adding some water to it.
- Add the pulp to the remaining chutney and mix everything well.
- Meethi chutney is now ready to use and enjoy your chaats. Store in an air tight jar or container.
Please Note: You can adjust the consistency of this chutney accordingly. For pani puri you can add little more water, for sev puri and papdi chaat you can keep it little thick.
You can also check my recipe for Green chutney to complete your chaat accompaniments.