Oat pancake also commonly known as oat cheela is a delicious savoury pancake and a healthy option for breakfast. Normally I prepare this using a lot of veggies and some seasonings over a pan. However, this time I’ve given it my twist and added some tomato puree, mashed potatoes and instead of cooking this on a pan, I cooked this on my Grilled Toaster, yes you read that right, Grilled Toaster which we normally use to toast our bread for morning breakfast and it is just as beautiful and delicious like a pan cooked cheela or pancake.
Grilled Oat Potato Pancake needs very little oil and gets done in a giffy. All you need is grinded oats, tomato puree, mashed potato and some spring onions and greens. These mashed potatoes are left over I had prepared as a side to pair it up with some grilled chicken from previous night dinner. You might also want to check my recipe for Stuffed Grilled Chicken Pockets.
- 1 cup grinded oats
- 1/2 cup semolina/rava
- 1/2 cup mashed potato
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 cup spring onions
- 1/2 tsp turmeric/haldi
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt per taste
- 1 cup water (use as much required)
- Oil/Butter for greasing
- In a bowl, add and mix all above ingredients.
- Add water and make a thick batter
- Let this rest for five to ten minutes.
- Add some more water as oats and semolina will absorb all the water added earlier.
- Form a thick batter, not too runny and not too thick.
- Grease your grilled toaster with some oil or butter.
- Carefully spread the batter and add few drops of oil on the upper side and close the toaster.
- Allow the pancake to cook for five minutes or till done.
- If you wish, you may also flip it and cook, but its not needed as we close the toaster which automatically cooks both sides evenly.
- Once it is nice and golden, remove and serve hot with chutney or ketchup.