Chicken Russian Cutlets or Chicken Russian Kebabs are a must to snack on. These cutlets are always a hit at get togethers, family functions and even weddings for that matter. This recipe of mine is a lip smacking chicken patty which is crispy from the outside and melt in the mouth from the inside.
These cutlets are made mixing together shredded chicken and veggies with white sauce which makes it all the more rich and creamy. I usually prepare a batch of these cutlets and store it in the freezer. This way it gets easier to fry them when you have unexpected guests over or even if you just want to enjoy it as a starter or a snack.
This recipe has various steps you need to follow. I shall also share with you my recipe for white sauce which is a basic recipe which can be also used for pastas, chicken etc. Below is my detailed step wise recipe for Chicken Russian Cutlets which is a must must try for all you chicken lovers.
Ingredients: (All below ingredients except spring onion greens can be boiled together along with chicken for better flavor)
- 500 grams boneless chicken (boiled and shredded)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped french beans
- 2 – 3 finely chopped green chillies (optional)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped greens of spring onion
Ingredients for white sauce:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp maida/all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- Salt per taste
Ingredients for coating:
- 2 beaten eggs with a pinch of salt
- Maida slurry (this is optional if one does not wish to use eggs mix 2 tbsp maida with half cup of water)
Oil for deep frying
- Boil and shred chicken with all the veggies and keep it aside.
- For white sauce, add butter to a pan and once it melts add maida and stir well till butter is incorporated in maida.
- Now reduce the flame and slowly add milk in batches and keep stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
- Once all the milk is added allow it to boil and then add all the seasonings.
- Keep stirring till the sauce thickens and leaves the sides. This process should take around ten minutes on a medium flame.
- Once done, keep the sauce aside and allow it to cool completely. Once it is cooled, you will see it become more thicker almost like a slimy dough. So this is how we need it.
- Now add the chicken mix and spring onion greens to the sauce and and mix everything together till its combined well. Remember to be gentle as you do not want your chicken to mash completely. Check for salt per your taste.
- Once your mix is ready, shape these into cutlets into desired shape.
- Now, dip the cutlets in beaten eggs and coat with vermicelli. Similarly prepare all and refrigerate for half hour before frying.
- Heat oil to deep fry.
- Fry the cutlets on a medium flame till golden brown. Fry in batches and do not over crowd your pan.
- Delicious Chicken Russian Cutlets are ready to serve with ketchup, chutney or any dip of your choice.
I normally add small chunks of chicken pieces while combining the mixture.
If you are storing the cutlets, you need not thaw them before frying.